I admit it.
Sometimes, I have questionable taste in music. I actually said that very phrase to my friend A as we were driving back to the office from lunch a few weeks ago. (I may or may not have also turned up Demi Lovato’s “Give Your Heart a Break” and declared it my jam.)
What is it about bubblegum pop that just makes you want to rock out? Is it the catchy (read: incredibly basic) lyrics? The consistent-borderline-repetitive peppy beat?
A quick glance at my Facebook profile, which so kindly tabulates my most listened to tracks on Spotify for my entire Friends List to see, makes me look like both a 55 year old and a 13 year old all at once. Sure, there’s Rod Stewart in there (thanks, mom) and a mix of country and pop artists. But there’s a whole lot of other embarrassing stuff.
I present to you my Top 5 Most Embarrassing Favorite Songs:
- Call Me Maybe / Carly Rae Jepsen :: Yes. This is my ringtone. Call me maybe?
- Super Bass / Nicki Minaj :: The tempo matches up nicely when I run. Boom boom boom boom bass.
- Love You Like a Love Song / Selena Gomez :: I had no idea it was Selena singing this song the first time I heard it. Considering she’s a teenybopper, she has a pretty rich sounding voice.
- Mr. Saxobeat / Alexandra Stan :: I’m not gonna lie, I have no idea what she’s singing about. But it’s so damn addicting.
- Anything by Taylor Swift :: Really. As A so kindly put it, “I noticed you listen to a lot of Taylor Swift…”
Please tell me I’m not alone. What are your guilty pleasure songs?